Monday, September 20

Simplicity? I think not.

In all of the resources that I have come across for women on bedrest, there is always a list of "suggested activities" to occupy your time. Knitting, cross-stitching, scrap-booking, paint-by-number, crochet... While these may sound like very practical activities, I just wonder who these women are that actually do these things while on bedrest. For one thing, it requires a good amount of upper-torso strength to hold ones head up and arms free while lying on ones side. After about 15 minutes of this, my neck, shoulders and back are aching. The other important requirement to begin a new hobby while on bedrest is a husband willing to shop for you. I love my husband very much, which is why I've yet to torture him with the task of fabric-shopping. Paul is more comfortable in a war-torn foreign country than in a craft store searching for a linen/cotton blend fabric.

The other day, I realized that I've been on bedrest for 7 weeks now, and have nothing to show for my time away. No knitted socks, or embroidered pillowcases. I don't necessarily feel pressure to produce evidence of my leisure, but I have decided that, while it's not as convenient as one may think, it would be nice to have a certain craft to mark this time. One thing that I've wanted to have, even before I was on bedrest, was a simple Baptismal gown for our family. I've never sewn a garment, so I searched online for a simple pattern that I could attempt. "www.Simplicity.com" seemed like the perfect place for a simple pattern (hence the name.) My pattern arrived in the mail today. It's not simple. In fact, I don't even think it's comprehensible.

I'm going to add my new Simplicity pattern to a collection of things in my life that are unexpectedly complicated. Another unexpectedly complicated thing is pregnancy and childbirth. We've all been born, right? In fact, pregnancy and childbirth is so common that one would assume it is simple. Simple to conceive, simple to gestate, simple to birth. Well, no, it's not simple at all. In fact, it is nothing less than a miracle. Sometimes I forget to be in awe of this miracle, and I feel entitled to simplicity. This is dangerous, because once I feel entitled to simplicity, I feel incompetent as a mother, because this "simple" part of motherhood is unexpectedly complicated for me. Actually, I know a lot of good women right now that are tempted to feel the same way due to complications in their pregnancies...
Ultrasound profile of Baby Leo

Have you ever heard of the saying, "God never gives you anything you can't handle"? I disagree. God does give you things you can't handle... things that are unexpectedly complicated... so that you will rely on Him.

"So humble yourself under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time. Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you." -1 Peter 5:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment